A looong time ago I caught a moneybox which I thought I posted here on the site, but apparently I didn't so here it is, unfortunately except from mud it was empty :(
So we actually caught some valuables last time we were out fishing. One of the things that caught my eye was an old dirty black spoon. I don't know if you guys know this, but silver turns kind of black when it doesn't get polished. So I decided not to throw the spoon away. Underneath you can see the spoon before I (actually my granddad and not me) did anything to it.
So I knew my grand parents were pretty good at shining up old silver, so I decided to pay them a visit. And they said that they would shine and polish that spoon up in no time!
So first we cleaned it with hot water and some soap, and after that my granddad polished it for 5 minutes, and the result was really nice. The spoon has the text Ole Luk Øje standing on the shaft. It refers to one of H. A. Anderson's stories which you are able to read more about here.
I looked up the spoon on Google, and found it from brand new. It costs 172 US $ or 143 euros. The spoon is 3 tower silver (a danish mark), which means that its at least 82.6 % pure silver.
But silver isn't magnetic, so how come you caught it, you may ask?
As you can see in the first two pics above, there is kind a clear difference between the part you put in the mouth and the shaft, the shaft is all black, that is because it is the silver. The end you put in your mouth is made of stainless steel for some reason, so this was the part which stuck to the magnet.
My grandmother said that this is because some people don't like to put silver in their mouth, so they make it stainless steel.
I know it's not new looking, but this is the end result.
So we went magnet fishing today and we caught lots of nice stuff.
Not going to post everything at once, but here's a start.
Some of the exciting stuff of today was to bullets!
So I went out to try Car catcher this Saturday, with some people from my dorm.
We didn't catch anything really exciting, but it worked almost perfectly. There were some minor design flaws, like I should have thought about making some holes in the pan, so the water were able to run through it, making it less heavy, but the main thing is that it worked!
Below you are able the see the things we caught, nothing crazy
Yeah that's right, I just named my newest magnet.
Why Car Catcher you ask? I will tell you:
I've put 3 magnets with a strength of 130 kg each together, giving my new magnet a straight pull of 390 kg.
I know, I know, a car weighs a lot more, but in water, I think car catcher would be able to move a small car.
Enjoy the pictures below, I'm going to test it out this Saturday!
So I haven't been doing so much with the site the last 6 months, for that, I'm sorry :(
Hopefully I will get the time to get out there and catch some nice stuff I can put on the site :)
For this post I have some old pictures which haven't been uploaded before, enjoy :)
Through the last year, we have caught a lot of tools.
In this post I have gathered them all, check it out!
So Hans, a metal detector contacted me using the contact information on the page.
He send me some pictures and his story, so here they are, story first, then pictures :)
Hello, Here are the pictures and the story.
I obtained permission to metal detect a farm that has been owned by the same family for almost 200 years here in Indiana. While scouting around I came across the original well that was used up until the 1950's. An interesting thing about it is that the two cement slabs that were put on top to keep anyone from falling into it actually have horse shoes in them. This was done while the cement was wet and serves as a handle or anchor so that they may be moved more easily. The next week I went to a hardware store and bought a retrieving magnet that can pull up to 250 lbs. (sorry we don't use the metric system here in the states. Not sure what that calculates to where you are from.) And some nylon parachord. I got to the well that next morning and managed to move the cement slabs a bit so that I could get my arms in. I then tied a battery charged light to one of the horse shoes and lowered it in so that I could see. I found an old plank of wood floating in there that was just out of my reach. I used my machete and stabbed it and pulled it out, it was so water logged that it was very soft. It ended up being about 7' long. Now I was ready to drop the magnet. I tied it on using a slip knot and sent it in. I have about 100' of parachord tied to it and it just kept going and going. when it finally hit bottom I pulled it back out to get an idea of how deep the water was. From the top of the well to the water is about 6'. From the water line to the bottom I'd say its about 30', so 36' is what I was dealing with. I jigged it around finally latched on to something. When I finally got it out I was excited by what it was. It's an old hoe. I showed it to the old man who is in his 70's and he said it's probably about 150 years old and said it looks like a lot of the other old farm implements that he still has. The head was made by a blacksmith who the family bought tools from and the shaft was the original. He showed me is collection and we compared it and it's a perfect match to that era. By the way, that was the only metal item in the well and the wooden shaft will end up coming off. It is dry rotting but that is ok because I will put the hoe head through electrolysis and preserve it. I hope you enjoyed this story and the pictures. I already have other locations to try this new hobby out on and I will share those stories too if you are interested.
Thanks and happy hunting!